Sunday, September 02, 2007

Edinburgh and beyond...

Writer: EuroGreg

Edinburgh is proving to be an interesting and generally cool city. The hostel that we're staying at here is actually a converted church! And for only £12.50/night, it's coolness factor goes up even more. Today we've checked out some of the famous streets such as the Royal Mile and Princes Street. Lots of shopping and Scottish "stuff" stores. Edinburgh Castle was not as great as we had hoped for. While OK and on top o the highest point in the city, it was a little too over commercialized for our tastes. Everywhere you turned, there was another shop to buy souvenirs. That, and most of the building was closed off or converted into shops or a museum where you couldn't take pictures. The crown jewels of Scotland was cool, though.

Tonight, they are having fireworks to end a month-long festival. Should be pretty good. Tomorrow, more of this city and then off to Ireland for the rest of the week.

Things of note:

- The conversion rate for USD to British Pound: Just over 2:1
- The conversion rate for USB to Euro: approx. 1.3:1
- Mullets never left Europe
- They love older American music
- I love bagpipe music
- While maybe not my favorite part of the trip, Tomatina was fun for me and I was NOT scared. (Too many people for my taste.) ^_^

2 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been waiting for you to address the scared comment from Tomatina! When I read that I could totally picture Mike telling that story and you rolling your eyes at that part ^.^.

Sounds like you guys are having fun. See ya in just over a week.

-gh

 
At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike does not lie. Greg was probably scared. I would have been too, Greg. I don't like crowds either! JL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home